Monday, May 14, 2012

'49er Recap

What an incredible weekend we had for '49er Days. The execution by the '49er Parade Committee, Washington Outfitter and Guides and the Community was brilliant. From a Marketing perspective I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts:

1. '49er Days gets a ton of FREE publicity thanks to the Washington State Department of Transportation! Who knew that WSDOT could be such a media force but their Highway 20 email updates have an enormous following (from people all over the world!) Every time they mention Winthrop and how they are trying to get open in time for Winthrop's '49er Days we get a huge free shot of publicity!

2. Yet another reason why Facebook is so powerful....Media organizations follow Facebook pages. Notice how CBS news follows Winthrop and listed us as a best weekend getaway and used the photo that I posted on our Winthrop Facebook page! Free press again! http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/05/11/best-weekend-getaways-in-wa-may-11-13/

Enjoying the parade again I was reminded what a powerful marketing tool a hometown parade is as well! If your business caters to locals I would highly encourage you to have a float in next year's parade. It's neighbors parading in front of neighbors and sends a powerful message of "I love my community".

Here are some photos of the parade which are available to all of you for future marketing efforts. (just click on the slideshow and under "actions" you can download the photo).

Thanks again to the '49er Parade Committee and WOGA.  It was a fantastic event!   -Kristen